Jacob and Susana Kern, Dearborn, OH
Submitted by Maggie Jones
Source: History of Dearborn, Ohio and Switzerland Counties, Indiana (1885), page 1148
Jacob (KERN) and Susana Speilman (KERN), natives of Pennsylvania, and of German descent. In the fall of 1817, they with their family, which was composed of nine children and a son-in-law, came down the Ohio River on a flat boat to Lawrenceburgh from McKeysport, Penn., and located in the latter [I THINK THE WRITER MEANT "former", meaning Lawrenceburg] place, where they resided over the winter, and in the spring shoved on to this county to the place where Edward S., his son-in-law, now resides, having purchased 350 acres of land previous to his coming here. Upon this land he lived out the balance of his days and prospered. He died January 29, 1841, in his seventieth year. His widow died October 17, 1845. Mr. and Mrs. K. were pillars in the Methodist Episcopal Church and took an active interest in religious work, in which they lived and labored over fifty years, their house being the home of itinerant ministers always. He succeeded well in life and accumulated a large property, his estate footing up over $30,000.
Edward S. Kern, son of Jacob Kern, is the second oldest resident of Craig Township, in which he has lived, and on the farm where he now resides, since the spring of 1818. He was born in Greensburg, Penn., March 15, 1811. He obtained a limited education in the primitive log schoolhouse with puncheom floors and without windows. He married, in 1833, Miss Mary A. Demaree, daughter of David and Rachel (Blunk) Demaree, and after marriage they settled upon the old homestead which has since been his home. He has held the office of justice of the peace and trustee of the township, the former one term, the latter several terms. His wife has been a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church since 1837, and is an exemplary Christian lady. Mr. K. has also served many years of his life in the same denomination."