Biography of Winston Black, August 9, 1816-October 30, 1892
Winston Black was born August 09, 1816, and died October 30, 1892. He married Eliza SMITH October 29, 1839, daughter of George SMITH and Catherine BEEKS. Eliza was born November 28, 1821, and died August 07, 1909.
Winston is buried in Woodland Cemetery in Xenia, OH, Lot L-113. However, he is listed as "Vincent" Black. The dates are right, as are the children's and grandchildren's names and his wife's information. On the 1840 census he is listed as V. Black; 1850 as Vincen Black; 1860 as Winston Black; 1880 as Vincent Black
- i. Albert Black b. April 11, 1842; d. April 07, 1862 - Killed in the battle of Shiloh, TN
- ii. Calista A. Black, b. July 14, 1845; d. April 26, 1908.
- iii. Carleton T. Black, b. May 08, 1848; d. August 18, 1870.
- iv. Lola A. Black, b. June 29, 1853; m. John R. Frances; b. Unknown.
- v. Calvin M. Black, b. May 08, 1856; d. September 09, 1862.
- vi. Lemen Black, b. November 28, 1858; d. August 18, 1920; m. Elnora Nisonger, October 02, 1873.
- vii. Frances A. Black, b. April 04, 1859.
- viii. Albert M. Black, b. April 24, 1863.
- ix. Brinton Baker Black, b. April 28, 1868, Xenia, OH; d. June 12, 1956, Valparaiso, IN.
Note from Submitter:
I have wedding certificates for both Winston Black/Eliza Smith and Brinton Baker Black/Lily Jane Hurley. Also Bible records for the births of Winston and Eliza's children, some marriages, and deaths. I believe Winston was the son of John Black of Rockbridge Co., Va. who married Margaret Ford and that John was the son of Henry Black of Rockbridge Co., Va. I do not have any proof of this however. Submitted by: Margaret Miller Smith